Having the right bras in your wardrobe can make a world of difference. Not only are bras essential for comfort, but they also add convenience and style to any outfit. But how many bras should you own before it’s too much?
In this post, we'll discuss the importance of stocking up on bras while also providing helpful advice on how to find the right kind of bras for your style and comfort needs. So, if you're ready to expand your wardrobe and find the best bras for you — keep reading!
First Things First — Is It OK To Wear the Same Bra Every Day?
Excerpts usually say not: Wearing the same bra every day may put you at risk of developing skin irritations and infections. For example, if your bra isn't washed regularly or is made of a material that doesn't allow air to circulate around your breasts, it can create an environment where bacteria and fungi thrive.
Additionally, wearing the same bra day after day without washing it often enough can cause oils on your skin to become trapped in the fabric, resulting in sweat build-up and uncomfortable chafing.
To help prevent these issues, it’s recommended that you have a rotation of comfortable bras that you wear alternately over the course of several days. This allows each individual bra time to dry out between wears and will extend its lifespan as well.
So, How Many Bras Should You Have?
To keep your breasts happy, healthy, and comfortable, aim for at least four to six bras that you feel like a superstar in. After that, there really aren’t any hard and fast numbers — expand your bra collection based on your body, preferences, and lifestyle.
With this in mind, here are some different bras to consider:
Push-up bras are designed to create maximum lift and cleavage by pushing breasts toward the center. They have foam or gel padding in the cups, often with underwire to provide extra support.
Push-up bras can give dramatic results and are great for special occasions. Generally, many people find them to be poorly suited to everyday use due to their lack of breathability plus extra padding that can cause discomfort.
Demi cups provide less lift and coverage than push-up bras, with a lower cut in the cup to provide a more natural silhouette. They’re great for those who want just a bit of extra support or shaping without compromising on comfort.
Sports bras are designed to give optimal support during physical activities like running, hiking, and yoga. They often feature a racerback silhouette to provide maximum hold and an adjustable closure at the back for added security. It’s important to choose the right size sports bra so that it can offer enough support while still being comfortable to wear.
Essentials Soft Bras
Essential Soft Bras are the epitome of versatility. The double-layering, soft fabric, and fun prints are all instantly recognizable TomboyX calling cards. This bra is ideal for those who prefer light support without padding or wiring.
These bras are machine washable and feature a fashion-friendly scoop neckline so that your low-neck tank tops can shine without competition. Crafted from a carefully formulated mix of OEKO-Tex-certified cotton and Spandex, this bra moves with you without ever moving out of place.
Bandeaus provide light support without straps and wires, making them suitable for those who want to wear something comfortable and stylish. They generally have a wide band around the chest and come in a variety of materials, making them great for wearing under tank tops or other low-cut clothing.
Plunge bras are perfect for low necklines as they provide great coverage while still maintaining a flattering silhouette. Most plunge bras have a deep vee at the center front and an angled cup shape which helps to lift the bust and create cleavage.
Bralettes are designed for comfort and style, as they are usually made out of softer materials and have little to no padding or wiring. They provide light support without being bulky, which is why these comfortable bras are ideal for those who want a more natural look.
Four Tips for Bra Shopping
Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind when looking to expand your bra wardrobe:
Determine Your Size and Try Different Styles
The first step in finding the right bras is determining your size. Not sure how? Follow these steps:
- Step 1: Measure your band size. Use a soft measuring tape and wrap it around your rib cage, just below your bust. Make sure that the tape is snug but not uncomfortably tight. You should be able to comfortably fit two fingers under the bra band.
- Step 2: Measure your bust size. Use the same measuring tape and wrap it around the fullest part of your bust. Make sure the tape is snug and even.
- Step 3: Measure your cup size. Subtract your band size from your bust size to get your cup size. For example, if your band size is 32 and your bust size is 34, the difference between the two is two, making your cup size a B.
It’s essential to take precise measurements in order to ensure a proper fit. Then, when you have your measurements, consult the
Consider the Occasion
When it comes to bras, it’s essential to consider the occasion. For instance, if you’re looking for bras for everyday use, opt for soft bras or bralettes. However, if you’re attending a special event (think wedding, party, etc.), then having a few specialty bras, such as strapless or plunge bras, is ideal.
Take Quality into Account
Finally, take quality into account. Selecting bras made from high-quality materials and constructed well will ensure comfort and durability.
Not to brag too much, but at TomboyX, our bras aren’t only deliciously soft and unbelievably comfy, but we use only the best of the best materials to provide you with bras that are second to none.
Find Your Fabric
Additionally, opting for breathable, stretchy, and soft bras can help keep you feeling good all day long. Here are some of the best fabrics to look for:
- Cotton is a classic, lightweight fabric that’s great for everyday wear. It’s also extremely breathable, which makes it perfect for warm weather.
- Lace is a sheer, delicate fabric that gives bras a more romantic look. While it’s not the most supportive fabric, it can be a great option for someone looking for something a bit more special.
- Bamboo fabric is gaining in popularity due to its lightweight and breathable properties. It’s also incredibly soft, making it perfect for those with sensitive skin.
- Nylon is a synthetic fabric that’s often used in sports bras and other supportive bras. It’s thicker and stronger than other fabrics, which makes it great for high-impact activities.
- Spandex is another synthetic fabric that’s often blended with other fabrics to add stretch and support. It’s great for a snug fit and can help keep the shape of a bra for a longer period of time.
So, how many bras should you own before it’s too much?
If you ask us, you can never have too many bras. After all, there are so many different types — it’s hard to have only one! That said, if you’re wondering how many you should have on hand to keep your breasts healthy and happy, a good rule of thumb is to aim for four to six. From there, you can expand your bra collection however you see fit, depending on your ideal fit, preferences, and lifestyle.
Keep comfort and quality in mind when shopping for your next favorite bra! Not sure where to look? Check out our inventory of comfortable, gender-inclusive bras here at TomboyX.